[fdo-users] Question on associations between classes

Maksim Sestic max at geoinova.com
Fri Jul 13 07:07:35 EDT 2007

Dear all,

I need to decide on what approach to take regarding logically associated
classes described by schema:

1) My features have annotations
Each instance of my FeatureClass may have 0..n annotations. Describing them
is a lesser problem, the general question is - how do I store annotations
and how do I relate physical class to them? I was thinking to resort to
standard RDBMS approach - creating Annotations feature class (table) with
rows (annotation instances) pointing to it's owner (physical class). Maybe
there's more "proper" approach, as shortly described in FDO DevGuide, using
other types of Classes than the FeatureClass?

2) My features belong to projects
Each instance of my FeatureClass may belong to 0...n projects. Meaning - one
feature may belong to two (or more) different projects at the same time.
Naturally, there's only one instance of a feature class in a datastore.
Using classical RDBMS approach, I would create Projects table with records
describing actual projects, accompanied by related table to keep pointers on
features belonging to that project. What FDO has to say about this type of
association?

With kindest regards,
Maksim Sestic