[fdo-users] FDO, Map 2007 and MySQL Server

Maksim Sestic max at geoinova.com
Fri Sep 28 07:29:50 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I'm just testing Map 2007 FDO connectivity with latest MySQL Server release.
Naturally, it didn't went smooth :-) Here's my list of "prerequisites":

- Latest MySQL Community Server 5.0 (5.0.45)
- Autodesk Map 3D 2007 with Service Pack 3 (acdbmgd.dll version 17.0.116.0)
- OSGeo.MySQL.3.1 FDO provider that got installed along Map's SP3
(providers.xml)

First of all, there's libmySQL.dll missing in Map's ..\FDO\bin folder. I
noticed (Autodesk NGs) that people are using MySQL ODBC driver instead,
which brings in too many drawbacks. Officially, Autodesk supports MySQL
5.0.22 so I had to grab missing library from the archive (
http://downloads.mysql.com/archives.php?p=mysql-5.0
http://downloads.mysql.com/archives.php?p=mysql-5.0 ). I just copied the
file libmySQL.dll from archive into Map's ..\FDO\bin folder and Map finally
started noticing present MySQL Server instance :-) Good for now...

MySQL Server has a "root" account I had to use while establishing connection
within Map. Service name is actually MySQL's host name (e.g. "server"). So I
went to the next step - creating named DataStore. After setting up
coordinate system parameters, along with it's extents (storage resolution of
0.0001), I went further to see how Map creates a datastore... or doesn't, in
my particular case :-)

Here's what happens - after the step where FDO schema and tables (f_*) get
created, Map issues CreateSpatialContext which fails in a spectacular way -
it actually kills MySQL Server instance/service!

Do you have any suggestions or workarounds to this?

With kindest regards,
Maksim Sestic