[fdo-users] FDO 3.3.2 RC1 Posted

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Thu Oct 9 17:09:40 EDT 2008

(copying MapGuide-internals)

Robert, re:

 [RF] FDO use to have msi for the FDO sdk.  It did include a merge
module for each provider with a custom action to register the provider
(and populate the providers.xml file).  Application like MapGuide
prefered to use the zipped version of the sdk (the one you can
download), extract the binary files, create their own providers.xml and
repackage it as part of their own install.  So we kind of abandon the
opensource version of the msi.  If there is a need, we would have to
look into how it can be resurrected.

I think that if MapGuide moves towards a Visual Studio-based setup
process, it would be useful to include merge modules for FDO and the
individual providers.  Ideally, this would only be maintained in one
place (the FDO project) rather than in both.  This would (eventually?)
allow the user to choose which providers to install as part of the setup
process.  I think that this would mean that the FDO MSI setup project
would have to be duplicated as a merge module though?  Or could the FDO
MSI installer be re-architected as a thin wrapper around FDO core and
provider merge modules?

Jason