[fdo-users] Disappearing Shape File Objects

Dan Stoica dan.stoica at autodesk.com
Sun Dec 6 21:08:17 EST 2009

Thanks to Milton I've played with such problematic dataset. My conclusions are:

-          The spatial index file is corrupted. Just remove the *.idx file and it will be regenerated. No more phantom geometries.

-          Still, the extents of the dataset are larger than necessary, accounting for deleted features. This can be cured but triggering the compressing mechanism (just create a feature, check it in and then delete it).

-          ESRI products have a problem: they show the deleted geometries as well. Practically they ignore the "deleted" flag in  the DBF file. Not sure at all why they do this.

Hope this helps,
Dan.