[fdo-users] Trouble connecting Mapguide to Postgis.

Remco Houtkamp r.houtkamp at burohoutkamp.nl
Tue Sep 22 02:45:45 EDT 2009

Hi list,

Somebody from the mapguide lijst told me about this list so I just
subscribed. I 'm new to this game and an newbie, but learned a lot the
last couple of months.

I finally managed to build the following setup:

Winxp
Mapguide 2.1
Mapguide Maestro
Postgresql 8.4
Postgis 1.4

I've filled the database (postgresql) with data from open street map
with osm2pgsql. I can connect from Udig to postgis and from Quantum Gis
(1.3 !!! 1.0 included with osgeo4w is not working). So my postgis setups
works.

In mapguide maestro I go through the following steps:
Create a new resource>data connection
OSGEO FDO Provider for Postgis
Database: osm  (is visible in Udig)
server: I tried localhost http://localhost/ <http://localhost/>
127.0.0.1 http:// 127.0.0.1/ <http://127.0.0.1/>
Port: 5432
Tried all three credentials but think it must be Specified Credentials
with user postgres and my secret password ;)
Press test connection and then the following error appears:
De externe server heeft een fout geretourneerd: (559) MgFdoException.:
An exception occurred in FDO component. Unable to load the FDO Provider:
Kan opgegeven module niet vinden. (some of this is Dutch... for cannot
find the module)

Somebody told me to test the fdo with depends.exe. This way we found out
that libpq.dll is missing. After installing " a version of libpq.dll" I
was able to run the the test connection. It returned no errors and I
save the connection. After this I need a layer to connect to the data.
Unfortunately I ge the following error:

De externe server heeft een fout geretourneerd: (559) MgFdoException.:
(dutch for the external server returned an error)
An exception occurred in FDO component.
Unable to load the FDO Provider: (null)

The errorlog tells me:

<2009-09-18T10:40:23>                3508
127.0.0.1             Administrator
Error: An exception occurred in FDO component.
Unable to load the FDO Provider: (null)
StackTrace:
- MgFeatureServiceHandler.ProcessOperation line 83 file
c:\osgeo\mapguide_21\mgdev\server\src\services\feature\FeatureServiceHan
dler.cpp
- MgOpTestFeatureSourceConnection.Execute line 100 file
c:\osgeo\mapguide_21\mgdev\server\src\services\feature\OpTestFeatureSour
ceConnection.cpp
- MgFdoConnectionManager.Open line 262 file
c:\osgeo\mapguide_21\mgdev\server\src\common\manager\FdoConnectionManage
r.cpp

It looks like the problem lies within the libpq.dll file. Anybody a
thought on how to solve this problem...

Thanks in advance, Remco  (The Netherlands)