[fdo-users] Benefit to using SDE Direct Connect?

BTenBroeck billtenbroeck at gmail.com
Sun Jun 20 12:18:40 EDT 2010

Hello.

I've seen quite a few folks trying to use the "Direct Connect" method to
create their connection to an SDE server. Could someone explain what the
rationale would be? In my case, I'm interested in a Mapguide scenario, not
Map.

It would seem the reason would be to prevent the gsrvr processes from being
spawned on the SDE server, but from my experience, they seem to be created
anyway, so I don't see what the benefit is. Also, I guess it's possible that
I'm not creating the connection properly, but it is working, and the syntax
seems to be as described in posts here. Is there I way to tell if the
connection is truly "Direct Connect"? (To be honest, I haven't done my
homework on that question, so I'll do that now.)

Thanks,

Bill T