[fdo-users] Re: Tool for editing f_ tables in SQL 2008?

Jackie Ng jumpinjackie at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 08:54:31 EDT 2010

1. There is no such tool at the moment to do this
2. FDO API has raw SQL execution option for RDBMS providers (who use f_
tables)
3. Most of the f_ tables should be self-explanatory if you understand the
FDO logical elements they are trying to represent:

f_associationdefinition - Stores information about FDO association
properties (foreign keys)
f_attributedefinition - Stores information about FDO properties and the
columns they map to
f_attributedependencies - Not sure, but looks like more info about FDO
association properties
f_classdefinition - Stores information about FDO class definitions, and the
database tables/views they map to
f_classtype - Simple lookup table for FDO class types
f_dbopen - Not sure
f_options - Not sure
f_sad - Stores metadata that is attached to FDO schema elements (Schemas,
Classes, Properties, etc)
f_schemainfo - Not sure
f_schemaoptions - Not sure
f_spatialcontext - Stores name/description of FDO spatial contexts
f_spatialcontextgeom - Stores geometric information about which feature
class geometries relate to which spatial context (I believe)
f_spatialcontextgroup - Stores the remaining FDO spatial context information
(Coordinate System, Extents, Tolerances, etc)

So generally speaking f_classdefinition and f_attributedefinition (and
possibly f_spatialcontextgeom too) are the main tables you want to be
tweaking when trying to register new tables and views.

Personally, I prefer not to have FDO-enabled databases as I have no need for
the extra features they provide. If I wanted to reduce the attack surface, I
can just use FDO XML configuration (Schema Overrides) for this purpose.

- Jackie