[fdo-users] FGF and ISO SQL/MM WKB

Orest Halustchak orest.halustchak at autodesk.com
Tue Sep 21 08:15:47 EDT 2010

Hi Øyvind,

There are no plans right now, but it would be good to support that extension as it is an OGC extension as well. OGC hadn't defined it yet when the FGF spec was done, which is why they're not exactly the same. The topic came up a while ago as part of a futures discussion, see http://trac.osgeo.org/fdo/wiki/FdoOGCSFSGeometry, but we didn't follow up.

 If we added support, we would have to be backwards compatible with all the existing FGF-based geometry data. But, moving forward to support the OGC extensions would allow us to be compatible with products that are generating data using the new OGC WKB format.

Do you or others see other products starting to make heavy use of the new version of WKB or WKT?

Thanks,
Orest.