[fdo-users] WFS memory usage

Robin Newton robin.newton at 1spatial.com
Mon Aug 15 13:30:54 EDT 2011

Hi,

I'm looking into a problem in an application using the WFS provider, whereby
if it is trying to process a large number of features it uses a large amount
of memory - even though the application itself only ever needs one top-level
feature to be in memory at a time - resulting in a limit to the size of data
that can be processed without the application crashing. As far as I can
determine, this isn't a leak. This is happing with builds done against 3.2
and 3.6 releases of FDO.

I had a look at the source code: when the IFeatureReader interface is used
to iterate over the available features it only allows access the the current
feature, but it appears to be maintaining a collection of every feature
seen. At least, this was the impression I got from
FdoXmlFeatureReaderImpl::ReadNext - with all the top-level features ending
up in m_featureCollection.

So, the questions I have are:
(a) Am I correct in thinking that it is holding on to every feature
processed by the reader?
(b) If so, is there any way of stopping it from doing this?

Thanks,
Robin