[fdo-users] SDE and slow multi-geometries

Oyvind Idland oyvind.idland at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 10:53:13 EST 2011

Hello,

I have been looking into an issue that was brought up here earlier. Turns
out that the SDE API
is slower than cold molassis when using SE_shape_get_num_points() on
multipart geometries.

I did some experimentation using the index tables returned from
SE_shape_get_all_points()
directly. The total processing speed on my dataset went from roughly 20 secs
down to less than
1 sec. There are several huge polygons with 200+ holes in them, and
multilines.

Why the native SDE API is so slow is a mystery, those indices should not
require heavy
calculation.

The code is experimental so far, but when I finish writing the code, I can
submit a patch
if desired.

-- Øyvind Idland