[fdo-users] AutoCAD and FDO OGR for personal geodatbases

Bassler, Brian CTR NAVFAC MIDLANT, GIS brian.bassler.ctr at navy.mil
Fri Sep 14 06:30:25 PDT 2012

Greetings,

I have been working with the OGR provider available for AutoCAD and I have a few questions.

First, is there a comprehensive guide to the use of the OGR provider?

I'm currently using the 3.4 version with AutoCAD Map 3D 2010.  I've not been able to save changes to a personal geodatabase regardless of the readonly setting when I connect or use of checkout/checkin from the ribbon.  I have found contradicting info that says features can and cannot be edited with this plugin.  Can I get a positive answer on this forum?

I'm also working with a demo version of AutoCAD Map 3D 2013.  I thought sure I had read somewhere that the OGR provider would be included in the install but it is not.  I'm not sure which version I should try, so far have installed the 3.7 beta but am getting connection errors which I believe are due to the ODBC drivers present on my test machine.  Said test machine is Win 7 64bit with 64bit AutoCAD 2013 and 32 bit Office 2007.  Note that MS Access was not included in that install so I've also installed the 32bit ODBC connectivity drivers from MS.  So far, this configuration DOES NOT work.

I'd like to be able to use AutoCAD Map 3D 2013 to read/edit features in an ESRI personal geodatabase.

Any recommendations? Many thanks for any help!!

Brian C. Bassler