[fdo-users] AutoCAD and FDO OGR for personal geodatbases

Bassler, Brian CTR NAVFAC MIDLANT, GIS brian.bassler.ctr at navy.mil
Mon Sep 17 04:26:29 PDT 2012

We have been successful to date using AutoCAD Map 3D 2010 in Win XP, the 3.4 version of the OGR provider and personal geodatabases (.mdb) from ESRI Arc 9.3 versions.  That success being read only.  With enough horsepower we are able to load ALL features from a 200+ MB personal geodatabase and "Save to DWG".  It takes awhile and can't be done w less than 4 GB of RAM.

The problem is that in the near future, we will experience a global upgrade where we will switch over to AutoCAD Map 3D 2013 on 64 bit Win 7.  The Acad installation MUST be 64 bit version for security reasons (32 bit version actually contains 16 bit code).

It appears then that there is NO solution to do this on a 64 bit system. I guess this is the downfall to using open-source. Doesn't seem to be any other options.  I looked for other providers and thought I might be able to use FME's but it doesn't look like it will work with personal geodatabases.  I'm afraid we may have to step back into the dark ages and use shapefiles.  At least we can get at them read/write.

Brian