[Featureserver] current transaction aborted when openlayers reading from featureserver WFS.

Ed Fialkowski edfialk at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 12:26:13 EST 2008

I'm not so sure if this is an openlayers or a featureserver problem,  so
forgive me if I guessed wrong.

I have a working WFS from featureserver up at:
http://pocus.wustl.edu/cgi-bin/featureserver2/featureserver.cgi/GIS?format=WFS
I have a quick openlayers map reading from the WFS at:
http://pocus.wustl.edu/openlayers/wfs.html

Each county is supposed to have a feature, but every time I view the page or
pan to a new area, I get:

Error: syntax error
Source File: http://pocus.wustl.edu/openlayers/wfs.html
Line: 1, Column: 1
Source Code:
An error occurred: current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until
end of transaction block^

Here is my WFS layer creation:
url = "
http://pocus.wustl.edu/cgi-bin/featureserver2/featureserver.cgi/GIS?format=WFS
";
wfs = new OpenLayers.Layer.WFS("WFS", url, {maxfeatures: "100"},
{extractAttributes: true});

eventually I'll raise maxfeatures to roughly 5k, but I'm starting low.

Anyone have any ideas?  I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks!
-Ed