[Featureserver] Help with FeatureServer , OpenLayers and PostGIS

Tom A. Cox tomc at hot.rr.com
Wed Sep 7 10:39:35 EDT 2011

Gabriel,

I haven't done a lot of work with Featureserver/OpenLayers and I haven't used
WMS at all, but I have a basic mapping system I worked on last year using WFS.
Hope this info helps.

My featureserver.cfg file is similar to yours.  The OpenLayers interface uses
WFS.  So...

featureserver.cfg:

[frontload]
type=PostGIS
dsn=host=localhost dbname=gis user=tomc password=
layer=frontload
fid=fid
geometry=way
srid=4326
attribute_cols=service_ref,service_num,service_name,street_num,street_name,city,state,zipcode,container_type,serial_number,begin_date,status

index.html script section:

var cgi_url = "/cgi-bin/featureserver.cgi";

wfs_frontload = new OpenLayers.Layer.WFS(
                "Frontload",
                cgi_url + "/frontload?format=WFS",
                {maxfeatures: max_features},
                {extractAttributes: true, displayInLayerSwitcher: true,
                    visibility: false, styleMap: map_styles,
                    projection: new OpenLayers.Projection("EPSG:4326")}
            );

OpenStreetMap.js, OpenLayers.Layer.OSM.Mapnik function modified for base url.
You may not need this if you are using a standard directory layout or for WMS.

--
Tom A. Cox
IntelliSystems