[OSGeo Finance] Finance Update

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Fri Mar 26 13:54:44 EDT 2010

Hi all,

Just FYI on a few things.

- I had to summarise our finances for the 501c3 application response
that was sent in last week.  You can see them at the very end of:
http://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/board/irs_docs/501c3_final_response.pdf

- I also need to have a finalised finance report, as well as a committee
report for the overall 2009 Annual Report.

- Various sponsors are up for renewal, so I'll be working on a batch of
invoicing shortly.  Autodesk's renewal came through a few weeks back at
20k, it was well fought for at their end but is still less than 50% from
the previous year.  They remain our highest sponsor still though.

- Fortunately FOSS4G income was higher than anticipated last year.
Portions of that are still coming through.  2008 FOSS4G contributions
have been received now too.

- I'm talking with a accounting firm in Oregon to get help on filing our
Form 990 federal tax requirements.  As well, I'm going to ask them to
look through our books and to give suggestions, or provide services, to
help improve our book keeping - obviously to make the Form 990 annual
requirements easier but also just to make sure I've been doing things well.

- As most of you are aware, we are migrating our web servers over to a
new location/platform.  The costs we typically have are about $15,000
per year for machines that are in need of upgrades.  This year we've
purchased new machines directly and having them hosted at
http://osuosl.org - our ROI should be about 13 months.  After that our
cost savings will be (approx) 13,000 per year!  That's like getting
another Supporting Sponsor :)

- Any word on a 2010 Budget?  If I can help put it together, I will
gladly do so, but just want to make sure it's not already in the works.

Tyler