[OSGeo Suomi] FOSS4G domain

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Thu Oct 5 05:15:20 PDT 2017

On 2017-10-05 4:27 AM, Ari Jolma wrote:
> Jeff McKenna kirjoitti 04.10.2017 klo 17:00:
>> A reminder that someone should purchase the FOSS4G domain right away:
>> http://foss4g.fi to prevent someone from outside parking the domain
>> and selling it for more money.
>>
>> I can also purchase it, but it should be someone from OSGeo-Finland
>> preferably.
>>
>> (would be great to purchase it today and point the domain to
>> http://www.foss4gfinland2017.com/ , for the event on Friday :)
>
> Are you going to attend? :)
>
> We already have osgeo.fi and foss4gfinland2017.com plus the osgeo Wiki
> and FB page. Having foss4g.fi would add to the communication challenge
> we already have (osgeo.fi has links to 2016 events and the Friday event
> in a mixture with the spring event in foss4gfinland2017.com).
>
> foss4g.eu seems to not exist either.
>
> Best,
>
> Ari

Hi Ari,

The concept is that foss4g.fi would be used for each FOSS4G event each
year; instead of having foss4gfinland2017.com  and foss4gfinland2018.com
and foss4gfinland2019.com etc.   It becomes easier for users to find
your event, and also cheaper to manage it.  (you could have
foss4g.fi/2016 foss4g.fi/2017 foss4g.fi/2018)

If you are unwilling to do that, please let me know and I will purchase
it on my personal credit card, for the OSGeo-Finland community to use.

-thanks,

-jeff