[FOSS-GPS] Introduction

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Fri Sep 19 12:18:50 EDT 2008

On 19-Sep-08, at 12:51 AM, Abdelrazak Younes wrote:

>  I am mostly interested in innotive navigation algorithms (using
> the embedded GPS and accelerometers).

Hi everyone,
Abdelrazak's comments reminded me of my hobby interests in GPS and
accelerometers[1].  By day, I work for OSGeo helping day-to-day
admin, marketing, promotion and more.  I'm a long time open source
fan, particularly in geospatial applications like MapServer, GDAL/
OGR, PostGIS.  I wrote about them in my book.[2]

But sometimes at night I break out the soldering iron and my Arduino
prototyping board[3] and interface it to my GPS receiver,
accelerometers (in a game controller) and digital compass chip.  Then
I pump them into the 3D globe viewer, OSSIMPlanet.[4]

I'm at the point where (I think) I need to learn more about
"navigation algorithms", such as Kalman filters, etc.  So I can merge
my inputs into something useful and less jittery than what I have
now.  If anyone else want to discuss this, it'd be a great point for
this list - since I'm quite lost on my own :)

Cheers to all, it's great to meet some new folks here!
Tyler

[1] http://spatialguru.com/
[2] http://webmappingillustrated.com
[3] http://arduino.cc