[FOSS-GPS] Using the open GSM cell databases

Onen onen.om at free.fr
Thu Sep 10 16:05:51 EDT 2009

Risto H. Kurppa wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I know three projects that collect GPS locations, signals etc of GSM
> cell base stations:
> openbmap.org
> opencellid.org
> ch.omoco.de/cellhunter
>
> Does anyone know an existing application for this data? Any apps using
> these databases? They all now show the maps with the GSM base
> stations.

Hi Risto,

you may have a look at:
http://gpsmid.sourceforge.net/

They use the opencellid data to centre the map, for what I have understood.

Otherwise I am working on a D-Bus service which will offer your location
on your phone, note/net-book etc through an embedded database. (If
anybody is interested in this, he may contact me).

Is this what you were looking for?

Onen
(openBmap.org team member)