[FOSS-GPS] Using the open GSM cell databases

Baruch Even baruch at ev-en.org
Tue Sep 22 14:02:47 EDT 2009

Hi,

On Thu, 2009-09-10 at 22:05 +0200, Onen wrote:
> Risto H. Kurppa wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I know three projects that collect GPS locations, signals etc of GSM
> > cell base stations:
> > openbmap.org
> > opencellid.org
> > ch.omoco.de/cellhunter
> >
> > Does anyone know an existing application for this data? Any apps using
> > these databases? They all now show the maps with the GSM base
> > stations.
> >

> Hi Risto,
>
> you may have a look at:
> http://gpsmid.sourceforge.net/
>
> They use the opencellid data to centre the map, for what I have understood.
>
> Otherwise I am working on a D-Bus service which will offer your location
> on your phone, note/net-book etc through an embedded database. (If
> anybody is interested in this, he may contact me).

I also started working on an application with a DBus interface, due to
the limited APIs of the current services I need also to write a server
that will import the three datasets and create a sync-able database that
clients can sync with as little work as possible on their side.

For the client I planned to provide Gypsy and possibly also GeoClue.

I've started writing some bits of the code in Vala. I'd be happy to
cooperate to get a single solution that just works for everyone.

Baruch