[FOSS-GPS] Participants wanted for Nokia's PUSH competition

John Morris john at coyotebush.net
Mon Sep 21 21:13:06 EDT 2009

I'd be interested ... I was just getting ready to do something similar.

I've been thinking in terms of GIS data collection. The components would
include:
  O GIS collection software on the phone, (possibly a modified CyberTracker)
  O A webservice for processing raw GPS data, giving "backpack" quality
positions.
  O A Repository of base station data, allowing postprocessing as well as
current processing.
  O An ntrip reference station (based on AC12 or LEA-4(5)T)

As a simplification, I was going to do 20-30 second static positions based
on pseudorange.  I originally choose a webservice to save both bandwidth and
handset compute power. Phase based kinematic processing is the "holy grail",
but it probably couldn't be implemented in a short time frame. Walk, then
run.

I was going to use a Linksys nslu2 "slug" for the ntrip reference station.
I'd use a commercial "rent a web" server for the repository and webservice.
It should be possible to move everything onto an N900 for a "Nokia-only"
solution.

Some possible simplifications:
  O The base station could provide ntrip directly to the N900 rover which
would do the processing.
  O The webservice could be implemented on the base station, eliminating the
need for ntrip.
  O The repository could be dropped, allowing only "recent" measurements to
be processed.

How do you plan to connect GPS receivers to the N900? The USB plug appears
to be "device" instead of master. Bluetooth is nice for the rover, but it is
a pain for the reference station. Also, an N900 reference station needs to
"auto power" so it can operate unattended.

 - John Morris

PS. I have assorted hardware, including an nslu2, a pair of AC12's, an
LEA-4t, and a collection of compact dome antennas. The GPS receivers are
wired for USB.