[FOSS-GPS] Re: FOSS-GPS Digest, Vol 12, Issue 3

Andre Landwehr andrel at cybernoia.de
Tue Sep 22 05:47:45 EDT 2009

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 11:09:32 +0200
"Juan Lucas Dominguez Rubio" <jldominguez at prodevelop.es> wrote:

> Hi.
> Every time I hear about high-precision GPS, I try to imagine a use case where that improvement makes a difference.
>
> In reasonable open sky conditions, I think my phone's integrated GPS allows me to identify a car in a row of cars or a tree in a dense park.
>
> Which precision would you achieve with the architecture you are proposing?
>
> Can you give an example where the precision you expect to achieve is useful and the precision I currently get isn't?

Finding a geocache without searching 400 square meters of forest
ground? ;-)
Well, maybe not exactly the usecase you'd pay money for when it comes to
using backend services like the proposed web service. But another thing
where I sometimes want for higher accuracy is mapping stuff for
OpenStreemap. Sure this is not a problem when mapping a track
running between two meadows, it doesn't really matter if it is 5
meters off to the left. But the map is getting ever more detailed in
crowded areas now. E.g. there is a project for mapping dangerous areas
for blind people now and it can very well be life-saving to have a
higher accuracy there.

Regards,
Andre

--
Andre Landwehr, Ricklinger Stadtweg 42, D-30459 Hannover
Phone: +49-(0)511-1054932, Mobile: +49-(0)175-4648375