[FOSS-GPS] Introducing FoxtrotGPS (was: Forking TangoGPS)

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Sat Apr 17 03:36:46 EDT 2010

Hello, everyone--

I'd like to formally introduce the foxtrotGPS project:

FoxtrotGPS is an offshoot of Marcus Bauer's excellent tangoGPS
application <http://www.tangogps.org/>, with a focus on cooperation
and fostering community innovation. You can find more information,
including a link to our public version-control repository,
on the project's website:

    http://www.foxtrotgps.org/

FoxtrotGPS' commitment is to improving on the extensibility and
maintainability of what we'd like to consider our `sister project':
rather than competing with tangoGPS, foxtrotGPS exists to channel
the developer-energy that's been bouncing around the community without
having a clear way to fit into the tangoGPS development model.

We intend to help grow the developer community, in part by working
to extend support for open standards and open architecture in
the foxtrotGPS codebase; more specific details are available
on the `roadmap' page of the foxtrotGPS web-site:

    http://www.foxtrotgps.org/roadmap.html

Users and developers are invited to connect and collaborate--
with each other and with the foxtrotGPS leadership--via the foss-gps
e-mail list <http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS-GPS>, as well as
on the #foxtrotGPS IRC channel <irc://irc.freenode.net/#foxtrotGPS>.

We encourage anyone who's found frustration in developing or
maintaining patches against tangoGPS thus far to participate in
foxtrotGPS instead of agressing the tangoGPS leadership: the
foxtrotGPS `fork' is being done with all possible respect, and our
hope is that we will be able to remain on the best possible terms--
that things can be kept cordial and professional between the two
projects, and that we will find plenty of code to continue to share.
We invite Marcus to incorporate whichever of our changes make sense
for him to use in his project, on whatever schedule is appropriate
for him.

Please join us to share your insights, experiences, wishes,
and most of all your patches.

Thank you, all.

(And--again: thank you, Marcus, especially!)

Let's dance! :)

-rozzin.