[FOSS-GPS] FoxtrotGPS Mapping Library

John Stowers john.stowers.lists at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 05:08:42 EDT 2010

Hi All,

I was interested to see the announcement of foxtrotgps.

I am the author of the mapping library osm-gps-map (
http://nzjrs.github.com/osm-gps-map/) which I originally developed from the
tangoGPS codebase when I forked it a few years ago (for many of the same
reasons I suspect you did).

In a totally biased way may I suggest that you use osm-gps-map as the
mapping library of foxtrot. In the past year or two I have worked on the
library many features have been added (see website) and the performance has
been continually improved - so much that osm-gps-map is the mapping widget
used in the most popular maemo mapping applications.

I suspect you could recreate the whole of tangoGPS UI/app in less than a few
thousand lines of C, or a few hundred of python. Additionally v0.5.0 is
available in the lucid repositories.

Anyway, I would be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Regards

John Stowers