[FOSS-GPS] More upcoming FoxtrotGPS releases, and...

David Pottage david at electric-spoon.com
Fri Aug 27 04:25:12 EDT 2010

  On 27/08/10 06:52, Joshua Judson Rosen wrote:
> One small thing that I'd like to see happen in the 1.1 series is that
> we should be able to directly output logfiles in a standard format
> like GPX; there's a question I have about that, though, which arises from
> the support for heartrate-monitors: what Marcus has done in tangoGPS
> is to just add another column to the end of his (CSV) `.log' files,
> where he records the heartrate as sampled at that point. There's
> no such element in any version of the GPX spec, of course, so
> how should we go about logging heart-rate data (or misc. data?)
> if we convert to using GPX as our primary log-format?
>
> Is there some `vital signs' XML schema for heartrate-logging that
> integrate into a GPX file? Should we invent one? Or should we just
> log the heartrate data into a separate file?
If there is not an offical standard (which I doubt), we should probably
copy the format used by Garmin devices. They sell lots sports orientated
GPS devices that incorporate heat rate monitors, and they all save their
data in GPX format, and have presumably added some extra fields for the
purpose.

I don't own such a device myself, but I know other people in my cycling
club who do, so I could ask someone for a data file to analyze.

--
David Pottage