[FOSS-GPS] FoxtrotGPS, gearing up for release...

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Tue Jun 8 11:02:45 EDT 2010

Hi everyone,

I apologise for the delays; I've spent the last week and a half doing
some final clean-up and review in preparation for an initial release
of FoxtrotGPS. This includes finishing the conversion of the 4k+ line
autogenerated interface.c to GladeXML/libglade, creation of a new icon
for use in place of the tangoGPS icon, consistency-checks, functional
verification of the new libglade code, fixing some remaining bugs that
prevented me from testing, and reviewing all of the improvements that
we've made beyond tangoGPS 0.99.3 for the creation of an informative
NEWS file.

At this point, I'd like to release a baseline `stable branch' of
FoxtrotGPS that's basically `a fixed version of tangoGPS' so that
we can start incorporating more disruptive changes into foxtrotgps-dev
(like replacing the map-loading/-drawing and friend-finder engines).

I believe that the code and the GladeXML UI-definition are solid
at this point; one thing that still should be resolved, however,
is that the conversion of the GUI to GladeXML broke the translations:
most notably, the conversion of the combo-box widgets to GladeXML
rearranged the strings such that each list's items are all in one
long, newline-delimited string rather than each item being a
distinct translatable string; there are also some minor changes
in whitespace padding. I tried going over these things myself,
and I was able to reduce the scope of the diffs using sed,
`msgcat -s', msguniq, etc. to a point where I could come to
that conclusion, but I think that I need actual translators
familiar with the languages in question to do the updates.