[FOSS-GPS] free UBX protocol specification?

Timo Juhani Lindfors timo.lindfors at iki.fi
Tue Mar 23 15:13:10 EDT 2010

Hi,

is there a free (as in DFSG, OSI or FSF) specification for the u-blox
UBX protocol available somewhere? (The PDF I found from www.u-blox.com
did not give me permission to create derivative works and I would like
to use the protocol description in an interactive UI.)

The best source of information I have found so far is "ubx.h" that was
given to Openmoko as part of some AssistOffline software package for
OEMs:

---------
Copyright (C) u-blox ag

u-blox ag
Zuercherstrasse 68
CH-8800 Thalwil, Switzerland

All rights reserved.

  Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software for any
  purpose without fee is hereby granted, provided that this entire notice
  is included in all copies of any software which is or includes a copy
  or modification of this software and in all copies of the supporting
  documentation for such software.

  THIS SOFTWARE IS BEING PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED
  WARRANTY.  IN PARTICULAR, NEITHER THE AUTHOR NOR U-BLOX MAKES ANY
  REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY OF ANY KIND CONCERNING THE MERCHANTABILITY
  OF THIS SOFTWARE OR ITS FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
---------

I parsed the file back to machine-readable form (JSON) and then
generated HTML documentation and an interactive UI for reading and
writing UBX messages.

You can browse the HTML documentation at

http://lindi.iki.fi/lindi/gps/ubx.html

and see some early screentshots of the UI at

http://lindi.iki.fi/lindi/gps/ui1.png
http://lindi.iki.fi/lindi/gps/ui2.png

(The source is also available in http://iki.fi/lindi/git/ubx-gps.git
but is mostly written with the mentality that it will be rewritten
when the concept works.)

Current problem is that ubx.h does not have units or scaling factors
for packet fields. It also lacks several important packets like
CFG-NAV2, CFG-RXM and CFG-FXN that are needed to set pedestrian mode
and the low-power FixNow(tm) mode on antaris 4.

Any help is appreciated.