[FOSS-GPS] FoxtrotGPS: Call for translations!

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Tue May 11 10:17:21 EDT 2010

Timo Jyrinki <timo.jyrinki at gmail.com> writes:
> 2010/4/20 Joshua Judson Rosen <rozzin at geekspace.com>:
>
> > If you are able to translate to any of those languages, or any other
> > languages that we don't yet have covered (personally, I'd love for us
> > to be the first GPS that speaks Lojban :)), we'd love to hear from you!
>
> I'd like to hear from translators, if you'd have anything against
> possibly utilizing Launchpad for translations some time in the future?
[...]
> Launchpad makes it easier for translations to be done by the more
> non-technical translators via the web interface, and it's nice for the
> more technical of us as well, but still with QA applied with the usage
> of language-specific translator groups (depends on the group how well
> it's managed etc.). However, if there is a strong interest from you to
> contribute to FoxtrotGPS translations and you specifically don't want
> Launchpad to be involved, we can simply choose not to use Launchpad.
> Note that many existing projects misuse Launchpad by keeping the
> translations "Open", but I'd intend to use the more sensible
> "Structured" permissions for team membership to be required.

The more I look at the prospect of using Launchpad for translations,
the more I like it..., HOWEVER: I don't think that we can currently
do that legally. I'd be fine with allowing translations to be licensed
under a BSD license as Launchpad requires, but I don't believe that I
have the authority for that--it appears that our current license requires
all derivative works to be distributed under GPLv2, including translations;
since the bulk of the original text is copyright Marcus Bauer, we'd need
his agreement to change the licensing.

While it wouldn't get us the smart data-mining functionality of Launchpad,
it looks like I could host a Pootle server to provide a web-based tool
to make translation easier less-technical translators.

Thoughts?

Is anyone familiar with Pootle?

Or are there other community translation tools that can accomodate
GPLv2-only projects?

Maybe we should just ask Marcus if he would be OK with translations
being released under BSD license?