[FOSS-GPS] FoxtrotGPS: Call for translations!

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Tue May 11 12:22:34 EDT 2010

2010/5/11 Joshua Judson Rosen <rozzin at geekspace.com>:
> The more I look at the prospect of using Launchpad for translations,
> the more I like it..., HOWEVER: I don't think that we can currently
> do that legally. I'd be fine with allowing translations to be licensed
> under a BSD license as Launchpad requires, but I don't believe that I
> have the authority for that--it appears that our current license requires
> all derivative works to be distributed under GPLv2, including translations;
> since the bulk of the original text is copyright Marcus Bauer, we'd need
> his agreement to change the licensing.

I think I already explained this on IRC: Launchpad does not require
translations or projects being there licensed under any specific
license. However, new translated string contributions via Launchpad
are required to be BSD licensed precisely so that they can be
relicensed back to the project's needs, and additionally possibly be
used in other projects besides the original one (ie. the translated
strings can be used as suggestions for identical strings in other
projects).

So it only applies to whoever translator is using Launchpad, and only
to those strings submitted via it. To the project itself it doesn't
mean anything different from getting translations as patches, the
translations included from Launchpad will keep the project's license.

-Timo