[FOSS-GPS] FoxtrotGPS paint-optimize branch

John Stowers john.stowers.lists at gmail.com
Sun May 16 06:00:51 EDT 2010

> > I'm not a fan of this idea sorry. IMO osm-gps-map should be
> >  * "batteries included"
>
> Well it should not be taken out, but the possibility of overriding it sounds interesting,
> although for foxtrot I'll take the built-in downloader.
>
> >  * a good GObject/Gtk+ citizen
>
> Hmm I don't know exactly what that means, I'm more of a ObjectOriented/C++ kind of guy,
> where 'separation of concerns' is one of the important axioms.

In this context it means
 * using libsoup (GObject based download lib)
 * Use Gobject properties and signals, interfaces etc (easier to write
bindings, gobject introspection etc).
 * Hide threads, use mainloop based approaches instead

> Besides, there was talk on this list about a tile provider library, which would rhyme with
> this separation.
>
> So my point basically is, you can have batteries included without discarding the concept
> of separation of concerns.

I guess, although osm-gps-map is not a large library currently, it seems
a little overkill to split it furthur. Also I am lazy ;-)

Thanks,

John