[FOSS-GPS] introduction and first help request

John Morris john at coyotebush.net
Thu May 27 00:46:28 EDT 2010

I'm also in the process of setting up a low cost base station.

The components I'm using:
  o Magellan AC12 gps card (~$160)
  o Ubuiquiti routerstation pro, single board computer (~$90)
  o FTDI USB-TTL converter cable (~$20)
  o Misc connectors, breadboard  (~$25)
  o Weathertight box, pipe fittings for antenna mount  (~$30)
  o Trimble compact dome antenna, ebay ($75)

The AC12 is a single frequency OEM card which has been around for a few
years. It is a 1 HZ unit, but it provides excellent phase measurements (even
better than the LEA-4T).  It requires a small amount of breadboarding to
hook  up, but it is mainly a matter of matching the wires from the USB-TTL
cable to the ribbon cable from the AC12.

The "work in progress" software generates RTCM 3.1 records and distributes
them through a lightweight NTRIP caster, all of which run on the single
board computer. The Routerstation PRO is designed to be  wifi router, but it
has more than enough capacity.

The entire station fits in a weathertight box; both data and power are
provided over a single Ethernet cable.