[FOSS-GPS] First impressions of FoxtrotGPS on the Freerunner

Sander van Grieken sander at 3v8.net
Thu May 27 08:04:34 EDT 2010

Hi All,

Today I compiled foxtrotgps for the freerunner and did some initial tests, mostly to see
if foxtrotgps is faster or slower than tangogps.

Overall, it seems to be just as fast (and probably faster in some cases), except when
dragging the map.

In order to make it a fair comparison I disabled the OSD entirely, because that's the way
tangogps handles things when map-dragging. When 'slowly' dragging (couple of
pixels/second) it's just as fast as tangogps, but when dragging 'faster' (i.e. larger
distances) it stops updating the view, until you stop dragging, or drag slower again. So
maybe there are some inefficiencies in osm-gps-map when exposing new parts of the
underlying pixmap to the view.

For those that want to see for themselves, I put the foxtrotgps ipk's and its deps online
here:

http://www.outrightsolutions.nl/~sander/openmoko/foxtrotgps/

Since it now uses libgps and not fso-gpsd you might run into difficulties actually getting
live GPS data, but for me that's not a priority right now :)

grtz,
Sander