[FOSS-GPS] First impressions of FoxtrotGPS on the Freerunner

Sander van Grieken sander at 3v8.net
Thu May 27 09:34:00 EDT 2010

Ehh maybe not.

These are just packages built from my own branch, and really need to be merged to trunk
first before releasing them under the foxtrotgps banner.

Besides, the package is crippled in that the OSD is disabled, and that now libgps is a
requirement, which makes it probably a less than smooth experience because AFAIK it is
incompatible with fso-gpsd.

I have renamed the packages to reflect they're not an official release..

grtz,
Sander

On Thursday 27 May 2010 14:12:00 Risto H. Kurppa wrote:
> Awesome Sander, first public packages of FoxtrotGPS!
>
> Please forward this to openmoko-community mailing list to share the
> packages with people over there, I'm sure they'll be interested!
>
> Would be nice to have these packages referenced at foxtrotgps.org, so
> that people ending there having Freerunners in their pockets could try
> it without need for compiling.

> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 3:04 PM, Sander van Grieken <sander at 3v8.net> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Today I compiled foxtrotgps for the freerunner and did some initial tests, mostly to
see
> > if foxtrotgps is faster or slower than tangogps.
> >
> > Overall, it seems to be just as fast (and probably faster in some cases), except when
> > dragging the map.
> >
> > In order to make it a fair comparison I disabled the OSD entirely, because that's the
way
> > tangogps handles things when map-dragging. When 'slowly' dragging (couple of
> > pixels/second) it's just as fast as tangogps, but when dragging 'faster' (i.e. larger
> > distances) it stops updating the view, until you stop dragging, or drag slower again.
So