[FOSS-GPS] Request for a release (was: First impressions of FoxtrotGPS on the Freerunner)

John Stowers john.stowers.lists at gmail.com
Thu May 27 19:15:32 EDT 2010

> Also John is improving the osm-gps-map widget in parallel. Right now my branch is still
> ABI and API compatible with version 0.6 of the widget, but that will change when John
> releases a stable version with additional track features.
>
> I think the first release should still be compatible with the 0.6 version, since it is
> already in the wild in various distributions, which makes it easier to get some exposure
> soon. After that, the next release will depend on osm-gps-map HEAD ;)

I think I have finished most of the improvements you need. It would be
really helpful if you check out the track-api branch and have a look
over the changes.

I will merge this branch to master after some feedback. It is also very
likely that this will be released as osm-gps-map v1.0.0

A summary of these changes, and a porting guide follows.

Many of these changes are simple renames. I have also included a
compatibility layer which maintains API compatibility [1] (although you
will get lots of g_critical warnings to encourage you to update... these
might be removed in the final release though)

 * Replace coord_t -> OsmGpsMapPoint
 * Apps should only include the osm-gps-map.h header file
 * osm_gps_map_add_image -> osm_gps_map_image_add and now returns a
OsmGpsMapImage *type that should be used when removing images
 * osm_gps_map_remove_image -> osm_gps_map_image_remove and now accepts
this returned pointer
 * osm_gps_map_clear_images -> osm_gps_map_image_remove_all
 * Track management is now done using the OsmGpsMapTrack object. This is
a wrapper around a GSList of OsmGpsMapPoints. You should keep a copy of
this object around. You can add single points to the track by calling
osm_gps_map_track_add_point, and the map will update accordingly. You
can change the visual appearance of the track via this object
properties.
 * osm_gps_map_add_track -> osm_gps_map_track_add
 * osm_gps_map_replace_track -> REMOVED. Modify the OsmGpsMapTrack
object instead
 * osm_gps_map_clear_tracks -> osm_gps_map_track_remove_all
 * The gps functions are now just convenience wrappers around an
internal OsmGpsMapTrack object
 * osm_gps_map_draw_gps -> osm_gps_map_gps_add
 * osm_gps_map_clear_gps -> osm_gps_map_gps_clear
 * osm_gps_map_screen_to_geographic ->
osm_gps_map_convert_screen_to_geographic
 * osm_gps_map_geographic_to_screen ->
osm_gps_map_convert_geographic_to_screen
 * osm_gps_map_get_co_ordinates -> osm_gps_map_get_event_location

I have also added documentation, configure with --enable-gtk-doc. I will
post this documentation online ASAP.

Regards,

John

[1] Excluding osm_gps_map_replace_track