[FOSS-GPS] Request for a release (was: First impressions of FoxtrotGPS on the Freerunner)

John Stowers john.stowers.lists at gmail.com
Fri May 28 07:56:13 EDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-05-27 at 17:36 +0200, Sander van Grieken wrote:
> On Thursday 27 May 2010 16:25:12 Guilhem Bonnefille wrote:
> > I follow FoxtrotGPS development since its early days. I'm really happy
> > to learn that it reached a state where it could be compiled for
> > Freerunner.
> >
> > IMHO, as some milestones where reached, I think it is time to release
> > the first public version of FoxtrotGPS and add a "Download" link to
> > main website.
>
> Joshua is almost done with the gladification of the UI, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't
> want to release before that.
>
> Also John is improving the osm-gps-map widget in parallel. Right now my branch is still
> ABI and API compatible with version 0.6 of the widget, but that will change when John
> releases a stable version with additional track features.
>
> I think the first release should still be compatible with the 0.6 version, since it is
> already in the wild in various distributions, which makes it easier to get some exposure
> soon. After that, the next release will depend on osm-gps-map HEAD ;)

I think I have completed the changes now.

foxtrotGPS builds and works against the new branch just fine (so my
compatibility layer seems to be working, thanks for the large test
case!). Comments on the new API and any new bugs you spot would be
appreciated (for example, I think I still have some stuff as
CONSTRUCT_ONLY that you are using)

I expect to merge the new branch to master in the next few days
providing no one objects.

John

p.s. You should check for osmgpsmap >= 0.?.0 in configure.ac (0.5.0 is
in Ubuntu, 0.6.0 is in debian, and 0.7.0 will be git HEAD in a few days.
All 3 are API compatible although 0.7.0 introduces the many new features
you need, and deprecates much old API)