[FOSS-GPS] Questions about foxtrotgps

James Hiebert james at hiebert.name
Mon Oct 11 20:33:16 EDT 2010

FOSS-GPS:

I have been using tangogps on my Neo Freerunner (running debian) for a about
a year and have been very pleased with it.  A couple weeks ago, after a
package upgrade tangogps simply stopped working.  I haven't quite figured
out why, but I suspect it had something to do with the change in protocol
for gpsd that occurred at about the same time.  _Supposedly_ I'm supposed to
use a wedge package, fso-gpsd which interfaces with the Freerunner's dbus
interface to the gps chip and acts like gpsd.  However, attepting to install
fso-gpsd removes both tangogps and foxtrot gps.  Which brings me to my
questions:

1) Does foxtrotgps directly support the dbus interface to the gps?  I
presume that the answer is 'no', but would be willing to work on programming
such a feature with a little guidance from someone who knows more about this
than me.  Or is there some other way to get foxtrotgps to listen to the gps
chip?

2) This is unrelated.  I think that the "map detail" option in the map
context menu is broken.  I clicked the "map detail->fewer/larger details"
option at one point.  However now the map is stuck there.  If I click the
"map detail->more smaller details" option I get no change.  Is there some
place that exposes this option elsewhere (maybe through gconf, on which I'm
no expert)?

Thanks in advance for any help.

~James Hiebert