[FOSS-GPS] Questions about foxtrotgps

James Hiebert james at hiebert.name
Tue Oct 12 10:40:46 EDT 2010

> Hmm, tangogps is not in debian anymore.

Well, it still shows up in my apt.  Is this an error?

# apt-cache showpkg tangogps
Package: tangogps
Versions:
0.99.4+debian3-1
(/var/lib/apt/lists/ftp2.de.debian.org_debian_dists_sid_main_binary-armel_Packages)
(/var/lib/dpkg/status)
 Description Language:
                 File:
/var/lib/apt/lists/ftp2.de.debian.org_debian_dists_sid_main_binary-armel_Packages
                  MD5: 9171a6378bda90539ab34439b2a117d0

Reverse Depends:
  foxtrotgps,tangogps
  foxtrotgps,tangogps 0.99.4+debian2
Dependencies:
0.99.4+debian3-1 - foxtrotgps (0 (null))
Provides:
0.99.4+debian3-1 -
Reverse Provides:

> strace -o foxtrotgps.strace -s4096 -f foxtrotgps

OK, it is attached.

FWIW, none of the gpsd suite of applications (gpscat, xgps, gpsmon) get any
info from the gps.  However if I run zhone (the phone application on my Neo
Freerunner), it is able to see a wide range of satellites and get a 3-d fix.
Presumably, this is because it correctly uses the dbus interface.  Does
foxtrotgps not support the dbus/gypsy interface to the gps?

~James