[FOSS-GPS] RTKLib MIPS requirements?

Danny Miller dannym at austin.rr.com
Tue May 1 18:15:16 EDT 2012

STM32F4 "demo board" uses an Arm Cortex m4.  32 bit, 210 DMIPs and a
single-precision hardware FPU.  I'm slightly unclear on the memory space
it has on this specific board but it should be 192KB SRAM and 1MB
flash.  That's my porting plan.

If it WORKS, it'll be a great system, these boards are absurdly cheap.
It is several more orders of magnitude of capability than these 8bit
PICs and such, but I don't understand the scale of the flops requirement
of RTKLib.  I know it's somewhere between "much more than any 8-bit
controller could ever do" and "won't even make Intel i7 break into a
sweat".   And those are wildly different magnitudes.  I don't know
exactly where RTKLib 10Hz would be between those.

And it's be running RTKLib and just some minor application (navigation
and monitoring) code which will not be processor-intensive, and it's not
using Linux or an RTOS.  So there's not a significant overheat for other
tasks and the overhead's timing can be managed predictably and
accurately.  Pretty much the core can either do it or it can't.

Danny