[FOSS-GPS] Hello

Donald Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Wed May 2 08:56:55 EDT 2012

Introducing myself: I'm Don Allen. I'm a retired computer professional
(I wrote my first computer program in 1960 -- some assembly-language
code for an IBM 1620 -- a scary thought!). I have used tangogps a fair
amount and it is a very good piece of work. I did have some initial
problems with it, tried to reach Marcus Bauer by email to no avail,
and finally took a suggestion for a bug-fix from someone I found by
googling, who was seeing the same seg-faults I was. To me, it appeared
that tangogps was had been abandoned, given Bauer's unresponsiveness
and after noting that the website is now just a bunch of ads. So I was
very pleased to discover the foxtrotgps project, which appears to be
alive and well. I am using the latest release on a Toshiba netbook
running Arch Linux, and it appears to work very well, though I haven't
accumulated a lot of hours of usage yet. I've looked at the roadmap
and it appears sensible. I look forward to future improvements in what
is already a very useful application.

/Don Allen