[FOSS-GPS] GPS issues for Ethiopia

andrea antonello andrea.antonello at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 04:19:10 PDT 2012

Hi I need some information about the above subject.

We are planning a educational project for water management networks in
Ethiopia and we applied to get a precision GPS to do the surveys.

We just got hit by one very upset persons responsible for the project
that told us that a professor of topography explained them that:
"since in Africa there is not geoid, the GPS is useless"

Apart of the citation, which may rise some comments on its own, I was
wondering if there is something I am not considering and should really
know. We have used gps in Rwanda without problems for the same
purposes and I am quite puzzled about what I am missing.

Any advice or link to documentation is very appreciated,
Thanks,
Andrea