[FOSS-GPS] RTKLib ready and recommended receiver modules

Hagen.Felix hagen at piotraschke.de
Thu Aug 29 11:25:51 PDT 2013

Hi @ all,
This is my first posting here, I just found this discussion as a result of
my Google search.
Please let me explain some details to the actual and upcoming L1 receivers
which are enabled with carrier phase raw data output to prevent any
confusion here...
The u-blox NEO-6P is able to deliver RTKLIB capable raw data with 5 Hz
update rate (officially and in fact up to 10 Hz) as well as the NEO-6T which
is the classic timing receiver module.
Both receiver variants are ROM versions, that means their firmware is not
upgradeable (in opposite to the newer LEA-6T which contains flash for user
upgradeable firmware but is unfortunately limited in a very poor update rate
of less than 2 Hz).
The NEO-6P is significantly more expansive than the NEO-6T, due to its
integrated PPP feature (which is quite useless in RTKLIB application
scenarios).
But anyway, this PPP goodie (in fact a smart implementation of SBAS together
with a "carrier smoothing") makes that the NEO-6P is the most bang for the
buck in autonomous operation modes.
The successor (NEO-7P) is flash based but nevertheless ready for an official
update rate of 10 Hz, and is finally ready to use RTCM input instead resp.
additional to SBAS.
So far, so good, but unfortunately it seems that there's still no GLONASS
carrier phase raw data output.
So if I should try to give a short conclusion and recommendation, I'd like
say that NVS is still the first choice at the moment, if you want to realize
any "pure RTKLIB" applications...
Best regards from Eastern Germany,
Hagen
https://www.optimalsystem.de