[FOSS-GPS] Converting (foxtrot) gpx to osm

David Bannon dbannon at internode.on.net
Sun Jan 6 01:32:07 PST 2013

On Sat, 2013-01-05 at 03:47 -0500, Joshua Judson Rosen wrote:

> I'm a little confused by this: can't gpsbabel do *all* of the work,
> here, if you invoke it with "-o osm" rather than "-o csv"?

Yes Joshua, I think it would be quite sensible to go directly to OSM
with one call to gpsbabel. Looks like gpsbabel has got a fair bit better
at this over time. However, using a script for this task is heap easier
than remembering the pretty complicated gpsbabel command line (whether
we go via cvs or not).

Further, the script simply iterates over a pile of log files. It sets
some sensible default tags. And does some sanity checking looking out
for logs collected under poor satellite geometry conditions. Few users
appear to be aware of that risk. And (eg) JOSM seems as happy to import
such data as it is with much more accurate data.

I typically come home with half a dozen or more logs to be processed, so
a bit of automation is an advantage.

David