[FOSS-GPS] Converting (foxtrot) gpx to osm

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Sun Jan 13 22:53:33 PST 2013

David Bannon <dbannon at internode.on.net> writes:

> On Sat, 2013-01-05 at 03:47 -0500, Joshua Judson Rosen wrote:
>
> > I'm a little confused by this: can't gpsbabel do *all* of the work,
> > here, if you invoke it with "-o osm" rather than "-o csv"?
>
> Yes Joshua, I think it would be quite sensible to go directly to OSM
> with one call to gpsbabel. Looks like gpsbabel has got a fair bit better
> at this over time. However, using a script for this task is heap easier
> than remembering the pretty complicated gpsbabel command line (whether
> we go via cvs or not).
>
> Further, the script simply iterates over a pile of log files. It sets
> some sensible default tags. And does some sanity checking looking out
> for logs collected under poor satellite geometry conditions. Few users
> appear to be aware of that risk. And (eg) JOSM seems as happy to import
> such data as it is with much more accurate data.
>
> I typically come home with half a dozen or more logs to be processed, so
> a bit of automation is an advantage.

Good points all around.

I've added your script to the contrib collection--thanks!

Is there a note you want to make in the `Log Tracks for OpenStreetMap'
section of the FoxtrotGPS manual, about variablity in trackpoint-quality
due to HDOP? Maybe there's a good explanation on the OSM or OSGeo wiki that
we should reference in a footnote, or something?