[FOSS-GPS] Converting (foxtrot) gpx to osm

David Bannon dbannon at internode.on.net
Sat Jan 19 03:27:15 PST 2013

On Mon, 2013-01-14 at 01:53 -0500, Joshua Judson Rosen wrote:

> Is there a note you want to make in the `Log Tracks for OpenStreetMap'
> section of the FoxtrotGPS manual, about variablity in trackpoint-quality
> due to HDOP? Maybe there's a good explanation on the OSM or OSGeo wiki that
> we should reference in a footnote, or something?

Yes Joshua, I do but need to know a bit more about it first. I'm stuck
in Melbourne at present, but will be back in the bush next week. I have
a couple of particular tracks I often walk the dog along, will log then
repeatedly and get a range of HDOP numbers and see just what sort of
difference it makes. I am trying to decide on the best strategy, if
average HDOP is above a certain number, advise to reject the whole track
might make sense but sometimes I am seeing tracks that are pretty usable
if you just cull out the bad ones (as the script does now).

I am a bit surprised OSM does not talk about it a bit more. Will get
back to you but not immediately.

David