[FOSS-GPS] RTKLIB Vehicle Accuracy

Danny Miller dannym at austin.rr.com
Tue Jul 1 12:05:02 PDT 2014

Also of note your link to your base station data must be reliable, and
constant.  It would be difficult to (legally) transmit this yourself
over a substantial range.  More likely you'd use your cellphone's data
plan.  You will need reception across the areas you wish to map.

Keep in mind your orientation is very variable if you're talking
off-roading.  The antenna will be on TOP of the truck, right? Could be 5
ft off the ground.  If you're climbing a 15% grade, your height would
appear 2" lower, and your position would read 15.5" to the side of where
your wheelbase is actually centered above.

IF this is an offroading scenario, you'd want a MEMS accelerometer to
read your roll/pitch of the vehicle in order to compensate for problems
in antenna position.

Public surveys of elevation over the USA and the whole world do exist,
and are fairly accurate.  DEM- Digital Elevation Map- comes to mind.

Danny