[FOSS-GPS] Amateur NTRIP casters

John Morris john at coyotebush.net
Mon May 12 18:23:18 PDT 2014

Software wise, I'm using custom software to 1) read from the U-blox receiver, and 2) generate RTCM 3.1 messages. I'm also interfacing to the new Skytraq receivers. The caster is event driven and makes use of the linux epoll() interface to efficiently manage tcp connections. The footprint per connection is very small, allowing a small computer to manage a large number of connections. Originally, I was targeting Ubiquity's router station pro, but the Raspberry pi is cheap and more than fast enough.

​

I agree power isn't an issue. It's more a matter of knowing what's available and planning for it. In my case, I'd like to be able to support 20 to 100 stations, so the hardware must be easy to assemble and  very reliable. I greatly prefer to not have to do any soldering. I'm expecting to use traditional (IEEE) POE powered from 110V, but many remote solar installations are based on 24V. I don't have a "solder free" solution for 24V, but I don't think there will be a problem finding one.

Rtklib would be one possible consumer of the data. Commercial systems (eg. Trimble) can also use it directly. Of course, I have my own plans to create a service which, combined with a smart phone and an external raw receiver, would generate accurate positions in "semi real time".

John Morris

Menlo Park, CA