[FOSS-GPS] Short moving baseline implementation

Danny Miller dannym at austin.rr.com
Tue Nov 4 13:46:05 PST 2014

I'm confused.  You've got LSA two meters apart??  Was that what you
meant to say?

This is relevant.  If you're tens of meters apart, you would likely get
acceptable- if not superior- performance with plain GPS with
high-performance units.

http://www.nvs-gnss.com/products/receivers/item/2-nv08c-csm.html

1M accuracy.  Almost all the time, better than that.  But it's also
capable of RAW outputs.

RTKLib takes time to resolve carrier phase and can sometimes hop around
when a signal problem confuses the carrier phase.  The simple onboard
non-RTK solution is quicker and, while less accurate, may be more reliable.

If this is a question of "I'd like to autopilot two manned LSAs in very
close proximity to one another for 2 hours", no, there's just no way
that's acceptable.  It'll be too dangerous.  RTKLib is an alpha/beta-ish
product and not suitable for life-critical function.

If you get two units and antenna and play with 'em, you'll see that the
reading can jump around at times on its own.  If you put your hand over
the antenna, it may jump 10M to the left.  Maybe it'll drop out of FIX
and maybe not.  Fearing your unmanned rover will drive into a swimming
pool due to error is one thing.  LSA is another.

I also wondered if STM32F4 with DSP would do this.  The thing is, that's
not float-point DSP.  AFAIK it cannot be used to calculate RTKLib's
matrices as they are done.

It MIGHT be possible to rework RTKLib with 32-bit integer math for the
high-throughput matrix calcs, but you'd have to understand the math's
possible ranges really well.  I decided it was both beyond my skillset,
AND too much work even if I had that skillset down. Now that the RPI and
BBB are so prevalent and a lot of other high-hp stuff is waiting to
replace them, going to such lengths to support a much lower-power core
does not seem that important.

Danny