[FOSS-GPS] Short moving baseline implementation

MarekM marekm at hot.pl
Wed Nov 5 05:19:16 PST 2014

Danny,
Its one LSA with two antennas located 2 meter apart.
Basic problem is: a plane is flying 50 m/s with ground course COG from point
A to B.
When no wind ( or wind direction is paralel to line A-B) - no problem, but
with cross-wind -  position of plane
is "twisted" and it is necessary to compensate camera yaw angle to get
paralel location of photo footprint on the ground. Magnetometer/compass as a
source of compensation is not enough long-term stable, so other source is
necessary. Moving-base RTK is one of available solutions. There are
commercial solutions available, but with high cost ( trimble BD982 + 2
antennas L1+L2 its approx. 4.500 USD from my supplier, official price for
this set is over 15k USD from Trimple rep.).
5 Hz GPS module is minimum - between position sets plane move approx 10
meters, fortunatelly with low dynamic change, so middle position
appriximation will give good solution.
As i understand - RTK use base position (lat,lon,alt) as a constant to solve
uncertain position calculations.
In my case I can use more such "constants": distance between antennas is
fixed and known, from IMU - as a additional - angles of line between
antennas (roll, pitch).