[FOSS-GPS] Using RTKLib with Novatel OEM device as base

davidkelley davidkelley at iTSware.net
Wed Sep 3 12:11:13 PDT 2014

I am puzzled, you should at least be able to use one of 3rd party tools, another open toolkit, or the vendors tools to prove this data stream can be decoded.  There are many tools out there for Novatel.  Once that works, I would then perhaps think the parser step can be of value.  If you send a snapshot of what you are getting I can take a look, or ask a Novatel person next week at ION, but your results seem odd to me. In my limited experience people often presume a msg or data product in the stream that is not in fact there, so I have learned to expend the effort to confirm that first.

Regards, David Kelley

-------- Original message --------
From: jtwork <taflan.work at gmail.com>
Date:09/03/2014  11:05 AM  (GMT-08:00)
To: foss-gps at lists.osgeo.org
Subject: [Spam] Re: [FOSS-GPS] Using RTKLib with Novatel OEM device as base

David,

The message is the 'binary log' output for the data message in the Novatel
OEM format.  The hex that it displays is supposedly a correct message, but I
just realized after somehow thinking there was no issue that rather than the
'AA4412' sync chars that are supposed to start off the message, every
message starts with '004412'.  I'm not sure why this is, especially since
even in the Novatel documentation there is no mention of a replacement of 00
for AA, and the Novatel parser in the source code definitely uses 'AA4412'
as the sync chars.  Perhaps there is some sort of strange header only for
the logs?  I'm going to attempt to replace the 00 with AA, and replace the
CRC with a correct one (I just tried simply replacing the 00 with AA to no
avail), and see if that makes any difference.

I have been attempting to use the OEMV-3 as a single-mode rover as well,
though at this point I'm just looking at the 'RTK monitor' output to see if
it can receive the data and actually parse it as the correct format.