[FOSS-GPS] foxtrotGPS for Ubuntu smartphone

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Tue Mar 31 22:48:56 PDT 2015

El día Tuesday, March 31, 2015 a las 10:33:11PM -0400, Joshua Judson Rosen escribió:

> I'm happy to hear you enjoy FoxtrotGPS, but hearing that it doesn't
> `just work' on the Ubuntu phone makes my heart sink a little;
> I thought that they had some sort of X11/Mir adapter for `legacy'
> applications--don't they?
>
> Though, it looks like the latest release of the graphics toolkit that we use,
> GTK+, apparently has support for Mir in the latest release:
>
> 	http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=GTK-3.16-Toolkit-Released
>
> We presumably just need to migrate FoxtrotGPS from Gtk+ 2 to GTK+ 3
> (I'm guessing--I don't know if there's actually something else required
>  to make something run on Ubuntu phones).
>
> It's probably a substantial undertaking to port to the new GTK+ API, and
> nobody's started yet, but I'm guessing it's something we'll need to do at
> some point (how long is GTK+ 2.x going to survive?).
>
> Help would be quite welcome.
>
> If I understand correctly, the first task is probably to convert the UI
> from libglade to GTK+'s UiBuilder system.
>
> Is this something that you could help with? :)

Hi Joshua && All,

While I do UNIX / FreeBSD for more than 20 years, I'm very new to the
Ubuntu phone. I owned this 4 days ago, because it's a phone running a
real UNIX (Ubuntu) and not this Android or iOs stuff.

I found that foxtrottGPS in the Ubuntu-phone aoo store is missing and
the other OSM apps are not doing what I want/need, or what I'm used to
use with foxtrotGPS.

I do not know anything about the new MIR display server and even less
about some X11/MIR interface libs.

I can only offer test efforts, when some port of foxtrotGPS to MIR is
coming up. More is outside my knowledge. Last time when I have build
some graphic stuff, it was with Xt and with OSF/Motif :-)

Thx

	matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, guru at unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-170-4527211
"Wenn der Mensch von den Umständen gebildet wird, so muß man die Umstände menschlich bilden."