[FOSS-GPS] foxtrotGPS for Ubuntu smartphone

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Tue Mar 31 19:33:11 PDT 2015

On 03/31/2015 03:30 AM, Matthias Apitz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am a happy user of foxtrotGPS on my FreeBSD netbooks and on my Linux
> mobile Openmoko Freerunner. Thanks for your good work.
>
> Since a few days I own now a BQ Aquaris E 4.5 Ubuntu Edition, i.e. a
> smartphone running Ubuntu 14.10 (r20). Are there any plans to port
> foxtrotGPS to this as an app? I could imagine that the mayor problem is
> the new display server (MIR instead of X11).

I'm happy to hear you enjoy FoxtrotGPS, but hearing that it doesn't
`just work' on the Ubuntu phone makes my heart sink a little;
I thought that they had some sort of X11/Mir adapter for `legacy'
applications--don't they?

Though, it looks like the latest release of the graphics toolkit that we use,
GTK+, apparently has support for Mir in the latest release:

	http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=GTK-3.16-Toolkit-Released

We presumably just need to migrate FoxtrotGPS from Gtk+ 2 to GTK+ 3
(I'm guessing--I don't know if there's actually something else required
 to make something run on Ubuntu phones).

It's probably a substantial undertaking to port to the new GTK+ API, and
nobody's started yet, but I'm guessing it's something we'll need to do at
some point (how long is GTK+ 2.x going to survive?).

Help would be quite welcome.

If I understand correctly, the first task is probably to convert the UI
from libglade to GTK+'s UiBuilder system.

Is this something that you could help with? :)